Prawns Gassi is a popular Mangalorean style fish curry cooked in fresh ground coconut with spices. This is a very simple recipe but the taste of this curry is awesome. Mangalorean fish recipes are very famous across India.The star ingredient in this curry is the ground masala which is made with coconut and spices. Try this delicious prawns curry at home!!
- Prawns – 250 g
- Lime juice – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
For the ground masala:
- Coconut – half of a coconut (grated)
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Pepper corns – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Onion – 1 no ( finely chopped)
- Tamarind pulp – 2 tbsp
For the curry Masala:
- Onion – 1 no (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 no ( finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Green chillies – 2 nos (slit in centre)
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp +1/2 tbsp for pouring on top of curry
- Water – as required
- Clean and de-vein the prawns. Marinate it with salt, lime juice and turmeric powder. Keep this aside for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and add all the ingredients mentioned under “for the ground masala” except tamarind pulp. Saute this for 4-5 minutes.
- Grind this masala to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a Kadai and add chopped onions, tomatoes, curry leaves, split green chillies, ginger.
- Saute this for 2 minutes and add red chilli powder.
- Pour the grounded paste and mix well till all the raw smell of masala is gone.
- Adjust the consistency of curry by adding required water and add marinated prawns.
- Wait till the curry starts bubbling and adjust the salt.
- Cook on medium flame for another 5 minutes and till the curry thickens.
- Switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice or appams.