Mutton Pepper Roast
July 9, 2019
- Mutton – 500 gm (cut into medium pieces)
- Onion – 2 nos (finely chopped)
- Shallots – 8 nos
- Green chilli – 8 nos
- Coriander leaves – 1 cup
- Curry leaves – 2 stem
- Mint leaves – 5 stem
- Ginger – 1 inch piece (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 6 cloves (finely chopped)
- Coriander powder – 3 Tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Garam Masala – 1/2 Tbsp
- Vinegar – 1/2 Tsp
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Wash and clean the mutton pieces well.
- Heat oil in a deep pan or kadai.Once the oil is hot, add chopped garlic, ginger & green chillies.Saute for 2-3 minutes until the raw smell of the masala is gone.
- Add sliced onions and saute it for 3-4 minutes till the onion becomes soft & translucent.
- Now add in chopped tomatoes, saute for 2 minutes.
- Once the tomatoes become mushy, add in chopped curry leaves, coriander leaves & mint leaves.
- Next add in the spices- coriander powder, pepper powder,turmeric powder, garam masala, salt and mix the ingredients well.
- Once the oil starts to separate from the sides, add in the mutton pieces and toss gently until the pieces are well coated with the masalas.
- You can make this in pressure cook with 6-8 whistles.I have simmered and cooked in deep pan so that all flavours gets incorporated into mutton.
- Cover with a lid and cook the mutton on low flame for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in between and adjust the salt if its low.
- After 20 minutes, again open the lid and give a stir.
- For me it took 50 minutes on low flame to cook the mutton well.It depends on the tenderness of mutton.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Cover the mutton pepper roast and allow to rest for sometime.
- Serve along with ghee rice or even malabar parotta for a delicious weekday lunch.