At our home, we make this snack often because it was my dads favorite.The name itself brings back nostalgic memories of my childhood days where my mother tells us to cut one banana leaf to make Adas. My brother and I would run away with a knife to bring long leaf without tearing. We mostly relate to our childhood with a blend of such small events and happiness.This is a healthy snack for everyone with no oil and goodness of jaggery than sugar.A different fragrance and tastes are incorporated in Ada when we steam this in banana leaf.
- Roasted rice powder – 2 cups
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Banana leaf – 1
- Heat a pan and add little water to melt the jaggery.
- Once the jaggery is melt, add grated coconut and cardamom powder.
- Mix well till the mixture gets dry. Switch off the flame and keep it aside.
- Make small square pieces out from banana leaf and move it gently over the flame to prevent it from tearing while folding.
- Take a mixing bowl and add roasted rice powder and salt.
- Add little by little water to make a smooth dough.
- Take one banana leaf and a small portion of the dough.Place the dough on center of the banana leaf and spread it by pressing it gently to the sides.
- Place coconut filling at the center and fold from one side of the banana leaf to the other side.Press it gently evenly.we can cut the sides of banana leaf to get a semi circle shape.
- Cook the Adas in a steamer for 8-10 minutes.Prick it with a fork to check whether it’s been cooked properly.
- Ada is ready to serve with hot tea.